When Should I See a Gynaecologist? Mr Metwally answers the FAQs…

Mr Mostafa Metwally, Consultant Gynaecologist

Mr Mostafa Metwally is a highly experienced Consultant Gynaecologist and Subspecialist in Reproductive Medicine and Surgery in Sheffield. He serves both NHS and private patients across Sheffield and South Yorkshire.


When should I see a gynaecologist?

Gynaecology is, of course, to do with the health of the female reproductive organs. Female urology, endocrinology and pelvic malignancy are all included under this umbrella. It also often goes together with obstetrics, or care during pregnancy.

There are many reasons why your GP may refer you to see a doctor specialising in female medical conditions. Bear in mind that you absolutely don’t have to be pregnant to see one.

The first time you visit, it can seem quite daunting to see a gynaecologist, but it doesn’t have to be. I see patients both in the NHS and in my private clinic and every one is a little apprehensive the first time they visit. It’s perfectly normal. Above all, your visit should help put your mind at rest – and as a gynaecologist, it’s my professional responsibility to do everything I can to make you feel comfortable.

But when might you need to be referred to a consultant gynaecologist? Here are some occasions when your GP might recommend you see a gynaecologist:

  • Spotting between periods – While the chances are there’s nothing wrong, and spotting may well be down to something as innocuous as a hormonal imbalance, don’t put off a visit if you’re bleeding between periods. Women who have been through the menopause, in particular, should not be experiencing any spotting at all.
  • Discharge – Anything that looks (or smells) unusual should also be checked out – again, it’s unlikely that there’s anything wrong, but you should see your doctor or gynaecologist if you notice anything like this. Be sure to seek help if you are experiencing itchiness as well.
  • Periods not starting  – If you’ve got to the age of 16 and not had your first period, there could be any number of reasons for this, often this is just a normal delay, but it’s very important that you get to the root cause as soon as possible by consulting a gynaecologist.
  • Period problems  – If a period lasts longer than a week, is excessively heavy, you are experiencing menstrual cramps, or any other form of pelvic pain, or if you notice a change in the regularity of your periods, again it is time to seek advice from a specialist in the field. The same is also true if you have missed three periods or more. (Actually, that’s the case if you’re sure you’re not pregnant. If you think there’s even a chance that you might be, you should make an appointment right away.)
  • Discomfort ‘down there’ – If you are experiencing vaginal discomfort or itchiness, or notice any unusual redness, sores or swelling, don’t ignore it. Pain during sex or bleeding after sex, are also signs you should visit your GP or book a private appointment with a gynaecologist.


To book an appointment, just call our friendly Private Patient Team on 0114 263 2114.  You will need a referral letter from your GP or you can see one of our Private GPs quickly for this if you prefer.

Copyright Mostafa Metwally, 2019.

Date: 25/01/2019
By: Paula
Are you insured?

We welcome patients with private medical insurance and are recognised by all major health insurers.

Find out more
Not insured?

We welcome patients wishing to pay-as-they-go for treatment and offer a wide range of medical services and procedures.

Find out more